Thursday, 20 November 2014

27 Weeks and wrapping up 2nd tri!

I just need to rant for a moment before I get to the good stuff.  I was paranoid and annoyed after my last OB appt 2 weeks ago that they didn't check my cervix (especially since a lot of people I chat with on the interwebz, friends and BMB folks) seem to have lately run into serious issues.  I got it in my head and just wanted to ensure everything looked ok.  My OB was on vacation so I went to see the fill in doctor.  I liked her better than my OB, unfortunately!  Anyway, she was happy to send me for an u/s to check things out and give me the reassurance I really needed.  So I went today, and I had the most awful experience.  I got called into the wrong room and then had a 5 mins discussion about how no, my name was not Jane Smith, not sure how she thought that would change over the course of our discussion, but a long 5 mins later, she asked me to leave the exam room because I wasn't her patient.  I ended up in the other exam room with a woman who looked at my forms, I mentioned it's twins, and she rolled her eyes so hard I thought they'd get stuck.  Sorry to inconvenience you?  ::shoulder shrug::  So up on the table, I cannot tell you how many times she looked at the papers, asked me to confirm:

Her: So Baby A is....::looks at paper::...on the left
Me: Yup, on the left.

Her: Ok, just checking.

5 minutes later.

Her: So Baby A is....::looks at paper::...on the left
Me: Yup, still on the left.

Her: Ok, just checking.
This conversation happened no less than 25 times over the course of the next 40 mins.  There are two babies, one on the left, one on the right, one is a boy, one is a girl, one is head down, one is head up - how many times do you possibly have to verify that Baby A is still, in fact, on the left??  I seriously was ready to lose it.  I do not think she has every done and u/s before, if she has, I'd bet she's never done twins.  She was so confused, and so lost, and generally seemed totally incompetent.  At the end, I asked what they both weigh now, or how my cervical length was, but by this time she's rushing me off the table, just kept saying, "Talk to your doctor" (which ok, fine, in Canada, techs aren't supposed to tell you anything but still, she was really rude about it).  Then I'm trying to wipe off the massive amount of goop she used with a face cloth sized already messy little towel when she begins to lecture me about how when I book appts I need to tell them it's twins.  I told her I didn't book the appt, the receptionist at my OB's office did.  *I also had my 13w scan there, you're looking at the papers that talked about my twin pregnancy - really??  You were that surprised??  So there I am, wiping all this crap off myself and getting decent, getting my stuff together and she's already got the exam door open, rushing me out, while the next patient is basically standing in the doorway.  Grrrr.  Hopefully I can call my doctor's office on Monday for some info and the results.  All I can assume is that if there was something wrong or concerning, they would have said something or sent me somewhere else.....right??  To focus on the positives - I got to see my babies today, for all of 90 seconds, but I'll take it.  And I learned that Baby boy (A) is head down, which is a good position for him to be in.  She is currently head up, but that can still change.  Ok, that's my rant about my horrible u/s scan - I will be looking for another lab for the next scan.  Jerks.


How far along:  27 weeks!

Babies are the size of:  Rutabagas
What's happening:  Babies are practicing breathing by now. Apparently if you shine a light on your stomach, they may respond - how cool is that?!  Babies also now have brain activity!  The brain will continue to develop and become more complex.  
 Maternity Clothes:  Maternity pants always, some of my regular tops still fit but usually I wear my maternity tops, they're just comfy and hell, I bought them, I may as well get as much use out of them as possible!
Stretch Marks: Nope, knock on wood.
Sleep:  I finally slept half decently last night (just don't ask my husband - pretty sure I was not pleasant to sleep next to, with my 'loud breathing' - I refuse to concede and use the "s" word :P )  My friend gave me a snoogle which is helping, but yeah, sleep is just hit or miss, mostly miss lately.  It's so annoying to be so tired and to sleep so poorly.
Symptoms: Heartburn comes and goes, I'm easily winded by too much talking or a flight of stairs - it's awesome.  My hips have been awful lately, they're sore and uncomfortable and really bother me, all day and night.  It also doesn't help me avoid the pregnant waddle.  BH are fairly common, and just the other day I noticed my cankles and indent from my socks, so I guess we can add feet swelling to the list!  Pregnancy is glamourous!
Best Moment of the Week:  My shower!  It was so awesome, I love walking by our nursery now and seeing baby stuff in there.  And I'm super happy we have a second car seat, that was high on my list.  We've also been working away on the house and nursery to do list.  We worked on this last night - I know it's nothing super impressive, but I was pleased to buy it, get it built and put the books from the shower on it.  Plus, Abby photobombed it, so you know you love!

Miss Anything:  Sleep.
Cravings/Aversions:  My appetite is ravenous, and desserts/sweets are amazing.  My cereal obsession is in high gear.
Showing Yet: You know it!
Mood: It's been an emotional week for me.If you've read my blog for a while you may remember there's been parental/family drama, well I did a good job putting that aside for a while, but it crept up again this week.  Couple that with my hormonal over reactions (and I do not blame hormones for things, but seriously, I have all the feels and can easily recognize that I'm a little nutty right now) I had a huge meltdown the other night.  Thank goodness for an amazing husband to talk me through it all and be so supportive, he really is something else, I am a lucky woman.
What I am Looking Forward to:  Entering 3rd tri, what a milestone!!  

27 Weeks!

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh you too?! What is it about cereal that is so fucking delicious right now?

    I'm glad that you had such a great time at your shower, but I'm sorry that the family stress is picking up again. I can only imagine how tough it must be to do so, but make sure you put yourself first and take a step back from it all when you need to. Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, so baby A is on the right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kid, I kid. You are looking so fabulous!! I'm sorry the family drama is happening again. ((Hugs))

      Delete
  3. Sirry you had such a crummy u/s experience, but hopefully you get some good news from it.

    Yay for the nursery coming together!! Can't wait for the new inhabitants to get here in a few months!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a horrible blog stalker lately but I just got all caught up. Sending you tons of love my dear! I'm so sorry the family stress is still there. You know I'm always thinking of you and sending you good thoughts and virtual hugs. Also, I want to punch that U/S tech for you.

    ReplyDelete