I would really like to know if he really believes, that based on all our info, how our cycles have gone, does he really think IUI will work for us. I am in no way ready to move on to IVF at this moment, but I am feeling the need to start doing some research and we really need to weigh the cost-benefit. With all the info, we may still move on to IUI#3, which is standard protocol, but I really want to make sure it's worth it for us to spend the money on that rather than putting it towards IVF if that's something that will likely be in our future. It's all so hard and confusing, there are no for sure's, no right or wrong answers per se, you just have to make a decision based on the best information you can get. I know Dr. R won't be able to say with certainty whether or not we'll get to IVF, but I want to have an honest discussion about it.
When I called to make the appt, the nurse gave me a quick run down; all in all, IVF would cost us about $12-13K. HOLY SHIT. That's half my car. That's like 5-6 vacations for us. That's a huge chunk of our mortgage we could pay down. That could be the price tag for a chance to have a baby.
I may sound like I'm getting ahead of myself, and perhaps I am a little, but this is my process, this is how I work. I panic, gather information, feel more in control and then make decisions (with H) about how to proceed. I think it's a good idea to go and chat with our RE to see how he's feeling about things at this point, and I wanted to do so without the pressure of another cycle starting (as in if we waited to see how this cycle turns out - by the time you get a BFN, CD3 rolls around quickly and you're already into the next one). I know we won't have the results from this cycle back yet, we got in to see him on Thurs, but I just need to talk to him, ask him some realistic and blunt questions and start to see what the path ahead may contain. I'm still really praying that this will be our cycle and this whole train of thought/appt will be for nothing, but I need to think beyond this cycle and have some plans or ideas, or at least information, in place.

This process is so hard for us planning types! It's impossible not to get ahead of yourself. Plan for the worst, hope for the best right? I sincerely hope that you get your BFP this cycle and you don't have to make that decision!
ReplyDeleteI don't think you're getting ahead of yourself. It's a huge decision and it takes a long time to figure out what makes the most sense (financially, emotionally, medically, all of it). However, I really really hope that you won't have to make that decision. My fingers are crossed so hard for you this cycle, as always <3
ReplyDeleteI feel like every time I go to the RE there is some new sticker shock! Glad you are gathering the information and thinking ahead, but have everything crossed you will not need to think about any of this and that this cycle is it for you!
ReplyDeleteI'm still praying this will be your cycle too but I think it's a GREAT idea to plan a sit down with the doc at this point. Hugs J, the unknowns are so hard... FX for you love!!
ReplyDeleteI hear you on the cost. I still freak out about it and I'm not even 100% OOP. I think it's good that you're looking at the next possible option, even though I hoping you won't need it!
ReplyDelete