Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Can't he just catch a break?

I had an email from my mom first thing this morning asking me to call her.  I expected she had a computer related question, or she was going to pop by my place at some point on her way to somewhere else.  Nope, nothing like that.  She tells me that my dad is at the hospital!  Apparently yesterday afternoon he started having some serious stomach pains which continued to worsen.  By 7pm last night he asked my mom to take him to the ER, which she did.  He was apparently diagnosed with pancreatitis and they want to do an ultrasound this morning to check for gallstones.  Let's say I woke up pretty quickly at this point!  As I write this, it's 12pm, meaning he has been at the hospital for about 17 hours.  He has yet to get a bed.  It's been 17 hrs and he doesn't even have a bed yet??  Sometimes our healthcare system baffles my mind.  And this isn't someone they think they're going to discharge momentarily (so maybe less pressing to get him a bed), they've already told him they want to keep him for a couple of days.  He also just texted that he's still waiting for the u/s too.  Cue the worry and the stress.  I feel incredibly bad for him.  This man has had nothing but shitty luck when it comes to health.  He's an amazing man who has had 10+ hip surgeries, only to recover from that and get, and beat, cancer.  Then back to the hips, since they only last so long.  And now this?!  Are you freaking kidding me??  Can this man not just catch a break???

Not to mention this is happening at one of the worst possible times.  In our industry, twice a year there are huge tradeshows.  Our industry revolves around these shows - max stress, max pressure.  My dad has a business associate coming up from the US for meetings this week, the show starts on Sunday.  I can only imagine how stressed my dad was about all of this already, and now he's in the hospital, and for a few days?  Like if this had even happened a week from now, the timing would be so much better.  My heart goes out to him, this is all kinds of shitty.  Now I'm googling "pancreatitis" and "gallstones", trying to learn something about them, what they mean for him, for his lifestyle, etc.  Not that anyone deserves something like this, but I just feel like he's the last guy that should be dealing with this.  He's finally been feeling good after his most recent hip surgery, which was last year.  It was also the second one last year because the first one didn't take.  Do you see what I mean?  He has some pretty shitty luck when it comes to his health.  I'm just hoping at the very least, he gets a bed soon.  I hope this is a relatively "easy" fix and doesn't become a long term health concern/issue he has to live with.  Feeling stressed today...

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad! It's awful that he just keeps getting piled on... I hope he's doing a bit better today and your stress level is ok. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chickin :) He is doing much better and is getting released today - hooray! I still have to get more info on what the doctor said, what this means going forward, etc. but at least he gets to go home.

      Delete