Friday, 30 May 2014

ER

So yesterday was ER day.  We got up and headed downtown, through horrible traffic, stressing about making it on time.  But we did.  We got a little cubicle room/locker area to wait.  They took H away to do his part while I signed a few more forms.  Then the nurse started my IV, I requested Zofran because the only other times I've been out, I woke up feeling mighty nauseated, plus I've been feeling queasy all through stims, I figured it couldn't hurt.  Then H and I hung out waiting, trying to practice some deep breathing to stay calm and fight off my anxiety.  When it was time, the nurse took me in alone to the procedure room and got me settled on the table, looking all classy gracious with my legs up in rather high stirrups feeling completely exposed.  Directly opposite me and my wide open access vag, is a door in the wall for the lab.  Hey, it's not like enough people haven't had a hand up my stuff in this whole process, why feel modest now?  I joked to the nurse, "Well, isn't this romantic?!  Just how I always imagined it would be!"  She covered me up with a sheet and brought H in to sit by my head.  He was all decked out in his scrubs.  If I had ever had a doctor fantasy before, consider me over it now.  Dr. C came in and said hi and stuff, then they started the meds and I got sleepy.  I do remember feeling something uncomfortable at one point and the nurse saying she'd give me more meds, that's about all I remember until I woke up back in my cubicle sitting next to H.  I remember Dr. C coming by and saying they got 7 eggs.  I then remember tears streaming down my face and saying, "Only 7??"

H filled me on in what happened.  I learned that:
a) we are perfect for each other, since H walked into the procedure room and also said, "Well isn't this romantic!"  I love him so.
b) even when under conscious sedation, I like to be helpful.  Dr. C said something about needing to push down on my abdomen, I'm guessing to find lefty, who notoriously like to hide.  Apparently I was quick to volunteer to help, only to be told that someone else could manage that ;)
c) apparently I still have a sense of humor.  H and a nurse helped me stumble back toward our cubicle.  Apparently she was going to pass it and I said, "No, we're in number 1" followed by my exclamation, "I'm number 1!"  Evidently I was kind of funny.
d) I am repetitive.  Poor H had to sit through groundhog day, as I kept coming to asking, "How did I get back here?" then I would nod off only to wake again and say, "How did I get here?"

I had one moment as we arrived home and I got out of the car that I thought I would be sick, but alas, I did not, hooray!  I went straight to bed for a few hours, then hung out on the couch with H all day.  He is truly amazing, I am so lucky to have such an amazing partner in all this.  He had got me flowers and stocked up on all sorts of things, he waited on me hand and foot.  Then later in the afternoon the doorbell rang and to my pleasant surprise, my MIL had sent an edible arrangements basket of fruit.  She really is so sweet, and the fruit is delicious!  I spent all day and night on the couch vegging out, I was pretty out of it and pretty sore.  It was much better if I was lying horizontal, so that's pretty much how I stayed.  Then we just got to praying for a great fert report.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you hear a great fert report!!! All my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love 'a' through 'd'! You are so funny.

    ReplyDelete