We just got back from vacation on Saturday and what a trip it was! I didn't realize how much I needed this vacation, but it really came at just the right time. It was the first time in a year that I couldn't tell you what CD I was on, and you know what, it was kind of awesome. I'm pretty sure I just O'd and our timing would not leave me hopeful - we flew home Sat, both of our parents were over for dinner and bringing home our puppy, who we missed immensely!!! Then Sunday was the funeral service for H's grandmother - it was a really wonderful tribute to such an amazing woman.
I'm going to focus on vacation in this post, because it freakin' rocked! I am in complete awe of the beauty of the Rockies, I ran out of adjectives trying to describe the sheer amazingness that was all around me. It was a tiring trip - we put 2300km on our rental car in 2 weeks - we did a little driving ;) We started in Calgary, went to the Stampede for the day/evening - for those in the GTA, it's like the CNE but for cowboys! We left there and went to Banff. Wow. Then we headed to the backcountry (I am not a camper or hiker, so keep that in mind!) and camped at Lake O'Hara for 2 nights. We did two day hikes while we were there - Lake Oesa and Lake McArthur. Here are a few pics:
I should mention, I have a travel buddy, Molson the very Canadian Moose, he has been all over the world with me. With the insanity leading up to our departure, I arrived out west and realized I had forgot him! I was pretty annoyed with myself, but decided maybe it was a good time to get Molson a little friend. Introducing Barry the Beaver! You may see him pop up here and there, he's an attention whore ;)
Then we went back to explore more of the Banff/Lake Louise/Moraine Lake area. We did a day hike up to the Little Beehive, that's my first summit :) I'm happy about it now, but I was cursing H on the way up! LOL
| |
| Lake Louise |
| Lake Agnes |
Then we got to Moraine Lake and saw this guy come strolling out of the trees! Up, that's a young grizzly like 5ft in front of our car!
We then drove out to Kelowna, BC for some warm weather and wine tasting! It was nice to finally be warm - the mountains were a little on the chilly side! Thank goodness for fleece :) From there we hightailed it north to Mt. Robson, the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies. It was incredible! We did another day hike around here and camped for a few nights.
We continued along the Icefields Parkway, said to be one of the most beautiful drives in the world - it didn't disappoint! Plus we saw a black bear!
We did another hike called Parkers Ridge which was spectacluar! You get an awesome view of the Saskatchewan Glacier, it really feels like you're on top of the world!
We had such an incredible time, I really needed this time away from everything. Now it's Monday and back to the grind. The only good part about coming home this time was seeing our puppy! I can't believe how much we missed her, we had a wonderful reunion - she certainly gave us an awesome welcome home! Ok, I should stop slacking since it's my first day back at work :P
Wow! Those pictures are beautiful! It looks like it was an amazing trip. I'm so glad that you had a great time! Welcome back :)
ReplyDeleteGorgeous photos!! I am so happy you had a good time friend! I knew Makaia and I should have stowed away in your luggage =) Glad to have you back though!
ReplyDeleteWow! Fantastic photos! Haha Barry cracks me up! Maybe he can be friends with Trixy!
ReplyDeleteWow, gorgeous! So glad you had such a great time. I can't believe Parkers Ridge - that is crazy beautiful. Welcome back. I hope your first day back to work wasn't TOO tough to take :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks ladies, it really was an amazing vacation! But I missed you all and am happy to be home :) And Doodmama - Molson will have to get in on the party too, he's already mad I forgot him in the first place :P
ReplyDelete