Thursday, 4 July 2013

Gone but never forgotten


About an hour ago, I was sitting at my desk, trying to help diffuse TB drama and hoping that it will be a quiet day on the phones, since it's the 4th of July and I assume many US clients won't be working today.  I was caught up in petty and mundane thoughts....and then my phone rang.  I look down and see my MIL's name on the caller ID.  I hesitate before answering, knowing why she's calling before I even pick up the phone.  Mia is gone.  She passed peacefully around 10:30am with both of her daughters by her side, after more than a week of wonderful visits with family and friends.  My MIL tried to reach H but I think he's been in a meeting all morning, so when I spoke to her, he didn't yet know.  Although I'm going to bet when he sees a missed call from both of his parents and a text to call his mom, he'll know.  H is stoic, he's not an openly emotional man, none of the men in that family are.  I know that he is hurting and I want to be there for him, to be strong for him and to tell him over and over again how much I love him.  I wish he were here so I could hold him and kiss him and just be together.

It's a very bittersweet feeling.  On the one hand, I am happy for Mia that she went peacefully, that she doesn't have to suffer anymore, that she is now with her husband who passed away in November.  I am happy for her because I do believe she's in a better place now.  On the other hand, I can't imagine what my MIL is going through, I don't even want to imagine.  My heart aches for her and the void that Mia will undoubtedly leave there.  I'm sad for my husband and BIL who just lost their last surviving grandparent.  I'm sad that I have lost a woman who is so very special to me, a surrogate grandmother, if you will.  I'm so sorry my children will never get a chance to meet this amazing woman.  I love Mia dearly, and I really am happy that she's in a better place, but my heart hurts.




6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, my dear. Big hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry my friend, I am here if you need me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. I wish I could do more than just send a virtual hug. Thinking of you and your family tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete