It was such a bittersweet visit. I completely understand Mia's decision, there is no hope for her quality of life to improve, and honestly, she was really happy when we saw her. I think this decision brought her a real measure of peace, and you could see that in her. I think if I could write the end to my own life script one day, it would be quite similar. She has spent the last week, resolved and happy with her decision to end dialysis, surrounded by family and friends, remembering the best moments in her life, getting a chance to say good bye before moving on to a better place. I am grateful that she gets to be happy at the end.
It's been 8 days since she stopped dialysis. We were told typically people survive 7-10 days after they stop, so it seems like it could really be any time. H went up north last night to help his dad with something and is probably at the hospital on his way home right now. I really hope that he has a nice visit with her today. My SIL was there yesterday and said Mia is getting noticeably weaker and more tired. I don't know if I will get a chance to see her again, but if I don't, I really have the best possible last memory with her, one that I will cherish and remember fondly, yet sadly. My last hope for her is that when the time comes and she's ready to leave this place, that she passes quietly and peacefully, feeling immensely loved, never forgotten.
I'd also like to thank those that left a comment, offering kind wishes and prayers, it has meant a lot to me, makes me feel a little less alone.

I'm glad you had a nice visit. Sending you thoughts, prayers and virtual hugs during such a tough time.
ReplyDeleteThis post made me tear up. I cant imagine how hard this is, and such mixed emotions. Prayers for healing and comfort still being sent your way. (((((((((((Hugs))))))))))
ReplyDelete